Monday, December 10, 2007

Parent - Teacher Conference

Today I met with Malcolm's teacher to see how he's progressing. I was so proud of him!! She talked so highly of him and is so impressed with how well he's doing. At the beginning of the year he only new that his name started with an M and he could writ that along with some C's and O's. Now he's writing his name without any coaching, and it's totally readable. He loves writing. He'll ask to write my name, Matt's and Quinn's, and then he can copy pretty well anything you write out for him. He's also doing very well with counting. He will see something and without counting out loud he will tell me "there's 4 such and such". His teacher says that is really advanced for his age. (I know he's my oldest, so I'm impressed very easily!!) She says at school he is very well behaved, they never have to get after him. Never treats others badly, always uses his words. Always listens and knows what is coming up next. Is very attentive to what he is doing. She says he's very focused on his work. I was so glad to hear that. I'm so afraid of my kids not being able to focus on schooling. It's the whole ADD thing. I was just so proud of him, but at the same time I told her, he's not like that at home. While she was here Quinn had something Malcolm wanted to look at, and he started throwing a little fit, whining and such. She says she was so surprised because that is not the Malcolm she knows. Here at home he is always whining, hitting Quinn, upset that I tell him to pick up his toys, doesn't want to get dressed, doesn't hear a word we say to him, on and on and on. I wish we had the opportunity to see more of "school Malcolm" here at home. But I'm so glad and proud that he's such a good kid for others!! Just needed to document this!!

4 comments:

Laura Lei said...

Way to go Malcolm!! What a smart boy. I have my birthday picture he sent me hanging on the fridge with Laura spelled out perfectly.

We are so excited to come to Washington to see you guys.

melanie said...

Good job Malcolm!

The Kay Family said...

Hey Shaila!! I found your blog through the Nygards, and I wanted to say HI!! Your boys are getting so big, and ADORABLE!! Congratulations on your new (well new to me!) pregnancy. I am going to add you to our list of friends on our blog at http://thekaykrew.blogspot.com I am so excited to watch what you are up to now!! Love, Janene Kay

Anna said...

It nice to hear good things about your kids from an other aduly on occasion. Maggie's teachers always say such nice things about her but then she comes home....