Friday, August 20, 2010

Weekend Fun

This last weekend the boys and I had the opportunity to drive north to visit my little brother Tyler who lives with my Uncle Max and Aunt Reaka. It was a 7 hour drive and the boys and I made it safe, sound and sane. Thank goodness for food and entertainment. Matt had the joy of staying at home and studying for a test. We missed him so much, but his focus has to be on school.

Tyler was being ordained an Elder, so I was able to be there for the ordination. He also finished his Duty to God award, so I was able to see him work on his last project and get his award. I'm so glad that I can live close enough to be able to support him. He is all grown up and moving away this weekend to attend BYU before going on his mission. I really can't believe he's already old enough to do all these things. I still remember him as my little buddy that I would read to at night and he would sleep in bed with me sometimes. I remember when we moved away from dad's to live with my mom and how much he missed me. He would send me pictures and notes, that someone had written for him, to me. He was a cute little guy!

He's grown up to be a wonderful young man. Uncle Max and Aunt Reaka have been wonderful parents to him. You can see what a good example he is for others around him and that he has a strong testimony. He's so good with my boys and is fun to be around. I sure love him!

I'm so mad at myself, I always do this, I wanted to get a picture of the boys and I with Tyler, but it never happened!
This is the only picture I got of Tyler, I know it's an amazing picture of him, right! He's working on his last Duty to God project. Nothing like doing it the last minute! :) A coat and purse hook for the nursery. I thought he did an awesome job.
While Tyler worked on his project in the garage, we played outside in the road! :) The boys had a great time playing with the marshmallow bow and mallow. It's cool, it shoots miniature marshmallow. Something any little boy would love!
The only picture I got of Malcolm, so I had to add it. Seems mean to leave one of the boys out.
Winston out in the cul-de-sac picking up the marshmallows, and showing me his big belly. He likes to call it his baby, thanks to his Auntie Stephanie!
This is my little cousin Channing. She's showing me her skateboarding skills. She was in a community play of the "King and I" and was one of the kings daughters. She has her hair in a bun and painted black, with her blue eyes! She is adorable and was so good with the boys. I could have brought her home with me.
Quinn trying to jump rope. Doesn't look too successful the way the rope is wrapped around his arm! :)
Just love Winston's little converses. He's obsessed with shoes and always has to pick out his own. I wish he would pick these everyday.

Aunt Reaka's dad came up Saturday as well. He was such a cute old man. They call him Opa, grandpa in dutch, since he's dutch. He moved over from Holland when he was 19 after his parents joined the church and wanted to go to the temple. He wasn't a member at the time they moved over, but later joined after the war. He was sweet and took us all out to dinner, including my family. Thank you Opa!

Channing and Uncle Max were in the community play "King and I", so Saturday night, we were lucky enough to see them in it. They did a great job and it was a great play. I sure wish you could take pictures during it. Uncle Max was one of the priests and had his head all shaved bald. He looks really good that way! I think he should keep it. The play started at 8pm and went until 10:45pm. I was nervous taking the boys that late, but I risked it. They did really well during it. Opa bought them all candy for during intermission. He was so sweet to them. Winston fell asleep toward the end, and so did Quinn. I look over at Quinn and his head is down on the hand rest with Aunt Reaka's hand under protecting it. It was so cute.

It was awesome to go spend some time with family. They made me feel so welcomed and so loved. They loved my crazy, rambunctious boys, and didn't seem to mind their wild ways. Thanks Uncle Max and Aunt Reaka for the fun weekend. I love you so much! Thanks to Channing for giving up her room to us!

2 comments:

melanie said...

Way to go Tyler, we are so proud of you! I'm glad you got to go Lou, you're a tough cookie to drive the boys alone. I knew you could do it! Sounds like a great weekend.

My boys would love those marshmallow things, I'm looking them up!

Hardy said...

Shaila!! I'm so glad you blogged! I love reading them. I need to do better on mine and still take a pic! I love that Winston shows his 'baby'! We love and miss you!