Friday, August 27, 2010

Uncle Wallace

My last post was very vague, but if someone in my family so happened to look at my blog and not get the news yet, I didn't want them to find out that way. Yesterday was a very hard day. Today I feel better, still in shock, but comforted.

My mom called me yesterday and told me that my Uncle Wallace had passed away. I was in complete shock, and total heartache. She didn't know much, so I had to call my aunt and brother to get all the details. He died in a tragic accident at work early yesterday. They aren't sure if it happened because of health or from falling, as he was by himself at the time, and have to to an autoposy to determine the real cause.

I'm devastated for my Grandma, my Aunt Jeanie, my cousins and 4 of my younger brothers that they took in 8 years ago after my dad died. I'm so sad that Aunt Jeanie has to lose her love. I'm sad that grandma has to lose another son so tragically. I'm so very sad that my cousins have to go through the pain I have of losing their father. I'm devastated that my 4 youngest brothers have to lose their uncle and "second" dad.
I stole this picture from my cousin Maria's facebook.
My Uncle Wallace was and is still a wonderful man. He's the uncle I always grew up with, and that worked on the farm with dad and grandpa and lived just a few miles from dad's. I saw him all the time when I lived with dad, and stayed at their house a lot as well. I have great memories with all their family.

Since dad died, he has always been so loving and supportive of all us kids. He took in my brother Carter, Spencer, Trever and Tanner and provided and cared for them along with Aunt Jeanie. I am so grateful for all our family that helped care for my siblings. Uncle Wallace always made a special effort to know that he was their for us kids, he couldn't take dad's place, but he was always willing to do whatever we needed of him. He gathered all us kids together several times so that we could be together as siblings.Those are such great times for us.

I can't picture the Bushman family without Uncle Wallace there. I miss him so much already and love him so deeply. He was a wonderful uncle that I loved. I always loved his warm loving hugs and words of comfort and advise since dad has died. He was a humble, humble man with a strong testimony of the Gospel, that would never waiver.

My heart goes out to Grandma, Auntie Jeanie, my cousins and my brothers as this will be hardest on them. I know families are forever through the Gospel and that we can be together again. I know that through the Spirit we can all be comforted and feel our Saviors love for us.

My mom made a comment on my blog yesterday that really made me cry with the thought of joy. How great the reunion must have been for Uncle Wallace, Dad, Grandpa Bushman, and Uncle Milo. I'm sure my brother Nathan and my sister Jacquelyn were there along with our cousin Talise. What gratitude dad must have to Uncle Wallace for taking care of his boys when he couldn't be there. I'm sure my dad thanked him several times for that, and I'm sure tears of joy were shared. What joy that brings me of that reunion, and the comfort of know they all had a purpose for leaving us all too soon!

Uncle Wallace leaving us has brought back a lot of the emotions from losing dad. It made the emotions so raw again. Though I cry for dad a lot still, especially on hard days, it just made the lose of losing his brother hurt so much more. My uncles give me glimpses of my dad, and Uncle Wallace did that a lot, since I also have a lot of memories of them together.

I'm sad that I live so far away right now and won't be able to make it back to be with my family. Although it's a sad occastion, it's always a great joy to be surrounded by family. We know mourn, but we also know how to laugh, smile and enjoy the time as a family. 
I love this picture, so Aunt Jeanie! Another I stole from Maria.
A few memories I have of Uncle Wallace. When I was a little girl, he used to sit on me and tickle me until I wanted to cry. His smile, not something I will forget, the way he smiled whenever he would see me and be ready for his hug. I have a memory of Grandpa Bushman, Dad and Uncle Wallace all leaning on their shovels on the farm, talking away. I remember when Grandpa and Uncle Wallace would take of their hats, their comb-overs would flap in the wind. Oh how that memory makes me smile!

Something that I always loved about Uncle Wallace was how warm, loving, kind and welcoming he was to my mom. He always invited her to family functions when he saw her and always says she was still family and she is, because she's my mom. I'm thankful that he was that way, and that I could have all my family together at times, instead of having "two" families. Everyone in this world should follow his example and it would make divorce so much easier. I'm thankful to Uncle Wallace for loving all my family. 

I love you Uncle Wallce so much. My heart breaks knowing you are no longer here and I will never get to see you in this life again. I will miss you. Please give my daddy a hug for me!

5 comments:

Marie Winters Adams said...

Thanks for this wonderful post,Shaila.
I didn't know him very well, but I feel like I know him better now. You have articulated your thoughts on him so well. What a lot of heartache your family has had. Our thoughts and prayers are with you. Hope you feel some comfort at this time. Lots of love, Marie & Jay

The Gang said...

He does sound like an awesome man. I am glad you have such great memories. Thoughts and prayers for you and yours. Love, Kim

Shellie said...

I am so sorry you have lost your Uncle Wallace, Shaila. I have been thinking of you guys and I love you.

JanaLee said...

Hey Shaila,
I am so sorry for the loss of Wallace. He was a very great man and so kind. When I think of his and Jeanie's great generosity in raising your younger brothers, it just puts him on a higher pedestal. I am sure you are right in that there is a great reunion going on in heaven right now. One day, we'll all be a part of the reuniting and how lovely and wonderful it will be. I love you and have been praying for all of you kids and for all of the Bushmans. There is healing...it just takes time. love you so much, Aunt Jana

Brenda said...

Shaila,
You don't know me but I'm Melanie Bushman's cousin and live in the same town as you. My heart and prayers have been going out to your entire family. This past week for Melanie and Milo has been unbelievable. I can't imagine what you are all going through. Just wanted to let you know that we are thinking of you and praying for you!