Thursday, April 19, 2007

Memories of Homemade Bread

I have so many memories of living at Dad's on the farm. I hope I never forget them, since it's all I have of the farm anymore. One of my memories is of Grandma Bushman's homemade bread. She made wonderful bread. I loved coming to her house and smelling fresh made bread. Or seeing the big bowl with bread raising inside it. She had this big cupboard that had only sugar and flour in it. I don't know how to explain it, I can't find the right words right now, but you opened it and built into it was huge things that held probably like 100 pounds, or more, of flour and sugar. I loved helping Grandma, just so I had an excuse to get out the flour and sugar from that cupboard. One of the things I liked to eat for breakfast at Grandma's was corn flakes and toast. They had Kellogg's corn flakes, we never had that. And the toast was from Grandma's homemade bread.

I love my Grandma Bushman and I don't get to see her nearly enough living this close. I have so many wonderful memories of working with her on the farm. She would work with all of us kids in the fields, and worked harder then any of us youngsters. She is such a humble, loving and kind person. I hope that I inherit some of her traits. She taught me how to sew, crochet and some quilting. I will never forget when she was babysitting us one time, Milo was terrorizing some of us kids. Grandma told him to stop or she was going to sit on him. Of course Milo didn't think that would happen and continued the terrorizing. Grandma wasn't kidding. She went after Milo and chased him down and sat on him. What a fun memory to have!
Well after getting way of track of the bread making!! But my point is I love to bake. I have recently started a love of baking bread and rolls. Before Christmas I started making my mother-in-laws freezer rolls by hand. I love rolls for Sunday dinner. I also started making bread sticks to go with my Chicken fettuccine Alfredo. Laura (my sister-in-law) and I were talking during Thanksgiving and some how I ended saying I wanted a Kitchen Aid so bad. She was so sweet and remembered and mentioned it to her Mom. So for Christmas I was so excited to get one!!! I felt like I was a little girl and got the baby doll I was wanting. I'm a nerd! I couldn't wait to use it and ever since I use it often. I wanted to give up my bread machine and make my own bread. I've only done it about 5 times, but I'm getting better I think. Yesterday I cooked 6 loaves of bread, and they looked awesome. I was so proud of myself! It took me all day since I only have 2 bread pans...but it's worth it for the taste of homemade bread. There is nothing like warm bread with butter and Silverbow honey!!

No comments: