Thursday, March 20, 2008
My Poor Sweet Boy
On Tuesday was our wards birthday dinner, so Matt put the boys to bed without me. When I came home he said that Malcolm was really scratching at his legs and had bumps that looked like mosquito bites. I forgot about it, until the next morning when Malcolm asked me to help him get his shirt on. I was trying to get out the door to go walking and was in a hurry, but then I noticed he had huge bumps all over his arms, then I checked his legs and they were there too. Well I had to skip my walk (ugh, I haven't been able to walk all week for various reasons) and took Malcolm into walk-in instead. At the beginning of spring break he got an ear infection and has been on amoxicillin since. They said he must be allergic to the antibiotics (which means he's allergic to penicillin too) and to stop giving them to him. That thought had occurred to me, since Matt is allergic to them too, and I thought about not giving him his dose that morning, but I still did! They gave me some clarinex for the itching that he could take only once a day. He woke up this morning and his hives were even worse. I took these first two pictures this morning while he was getting dressed.
He's got the hives all over now. On his face, ears, back, tummy...everywhere. I called "my doctor" this morning and he said to give him benadryl every 4-6 hours instead.
My poor baby whenever I ask him how he's feeling he tells me "Not good!" When I ask him where he's itchy he says "all over my body!" It makes me feel so bad. He really didn't want to miss school today because they were going on a field trip to the science center, but he was such a sad sight. Notice in this picture how swollen his little hands are!
His feet are also really swollen. He started walking funny this afternoon, and by bedtime he was crying if he had to walk because his feet hurt so bad. It makes me so nervous, but the Dr said that this stuff stays in the system for quite a while, and it will get worse before it gets better.
If it's worse tomorrow, I'm going to call again. Don't you think they could give him some type of shot to stop the reaction?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
11 comments:
Oh poor thing! Has he not had amoxicillin before. It makes me so sad to see those big bumps. Hope he gets feeling better soon!
Oh no! Poor Malcom!!! I guess it's a good thing to find out, but poor guy!! Hope it gets better today.
When I was taking Iron supplements I broke out in hives on my legs…so itchy!!! I don’t blame Malcolm for crying at all, I’m 21 and my hives made me cry too. Don’t feel guilty calling the doctor anytime you want to. It’s better to be safe then sorry. But I’m guessing it will have to pass through his system. Poor kid. Just give him lots and lots of love!
Oh how sad!! It just breaks my heart when kids have the itchies and don't feel well!! I started breaking out in hives about 3 months ago EVERY morning (luckily it stopped after a week) and I thought that I was allergic to Lucky Charms!! They were on sale so I stocked up and we had them every morning for breakfast. I felt a lot better after I would take a shower, but still NO fun!! Hope it passes through quickly.
I had a really bad allergic reaction like this before. Poor baby I totally know how it feels to have a hard time walking because of hives. They did give me a shot to help and it made it worse...the next day I couldn't open my eyes. And they said the shot they gave me was the most painful one they offered. My bum was numb for almost a year in the spot where they gave it.
There's just nothing worse than having a sick kid. I always get sooo nervous. Hopefully those hives will go away soon - those look scary!
Poor kid. I feel so bad for him.
Oh man, I thought I commented! Poor Malcolm. I used to get hives like that from eating strawberries of all things! I'm so glad I grew out of that one. I hope it goes away soon and mommy and boy can rest.
Poor Malcolm. I almost cant look at this post because it looks so itchy. What a little trooper, Malcolm and his Mom! Dallin had a reaction to amoxicillin and it wasnt at all that bad, Im still not convinced that what Dallin had. I really think Benadryl is the best for it, that and a few more days to get rid of the antibiotic. Hang in there!
So sorry for Malcolm, poor boy!! I hope he's feeling much better by now.
Post a Comment