This last weekend I was able to go to Spokane with my Mom, Aunt LaVoy,
Brianne and
Melanie for a little girls outing. (And of course Reed and Winston came along.) We went to go to
Time Out for Women. If you have never heard of it or gone...it's definitely something worth checking out! This is the third time they have come to Spokane, and I have gone every time. It's been a great experience each time. This time they had three different events. During the day of Friday there was a "Life Seminar" that Mel and I couldn't go to since we have infants. We were able to do a little shopping before the Friday night event. I had a gift card from Macy's and found some great deals. I was so excited to get a new outfit to wear!!
There were so many great speakers at the Friday night and Saturday events; Chieko N. Okazaki, Elia Gourgouris, Merrilee Boyack, Doug Brinley, Carolyn Rasmus, Jane Clayson Johnson and Mary Ellen Edmunds. The musical performers were Michael McLean,
Mercy River (a great new trio!) and my favorite Hilary Weeks. I left feeling so happy and wonderful. I haven't felt the spirit that strong for a while. (It helps not having the older kids to distract me!) I left with a greater determination to live closer to the spirit and a greater knowledge of the love Heavenly Father has for me personally! I always end up forgetting the great things I learned, even though I take notes, but I hope I can remember the way that I left feeling!
(Me, my sis Brianne, my beautiful Mom, my sil Melanie and my beautiful Aunt LaVoy)
(Mom, Winston and I at the Old Spaghetti Factory Thursday night)

The highlight of my weekend would definitely be Hilary Weeks!! If anybody knows me, they know how much a I love music and I love to sing! I really, seriously love to perform in front of people. I may not be that entertaining, or even a great singer, but I love the thrill of it all! I started singing Hilary Weeks songs when I was in high school right after her first CD came out! I have loved her since and love all her music. She writes her own songs and all of them have such a great message or story. Her music can bring the spirit into the room in seconds! On Saturday when the music came on for "He Hears Me", I instantly felt the spirit and I started bawling. (Because of course I know all the music and words to her music!)

She didn't perform until Saturday, but she was at the Friday night event watching. It seemed that not many people noticed her. (I did of course!) During one of the breaks Mel was trying to get me to go up there and talk with her. I was so scared to, I knew I would make a fool of myself. Well Mel didn't give me much choice and pretty much told me that I was going up there. Well we went and talked with her, and just like I knew I would, I felt like I made a fool of myself. I didn't know what to say to her...there's so much I wanted to say to her, but I just couldn't. We did get a picture with her which I was so excited!! Mel didn't like the way she looked though. During one of the breaks Saturday I was out with Winston. Mel saw people getting autographs and told my mom she wished she had one of her Cd's so that she could get it signed for me. Well she got creative and took my "free tote bag" and a card and asked Hilary Weeks to sign them for me! What a sweet sister in law huh!?! When I got back and she showed it to me, I had to fight the tears! (I know I'm sounding so stupid!!)

After the event was over, Mel thought we should go up there again and talk to her and do a retake on the picture. Hilary Weeks was funny and totally remembered us coming up the last night, and Mel getting her autograph for me. This time I was able to tell her how much her music meant to me and how much I love to sing it. I even cried a little, which I was so scared of doing the night before! (Man she must think I'm something else huh!?!)

She is really such a sweet, sincere person. I'm so amazed at her talent. She must of some incredible knowledge of the scriptures and live very close to the spirit to be inspired to write her music!! I haven't sang to often lately. (I can't remember the last time I sang in church, maybe when Malcolm was a baby.) Hearing her sing again, (she came the first time it was in Spokane), has inspired me to make an effort to sing more often. I really feel I have lost some of my "talent" if you can call it that. What an amazing experience. Thank you Mel for "forcing" me to go and talk to her! I will never forget that. I can't wait for her next album to come out this fall.

I took one picture Thursday night at dinner when my battery died. When I went to charge it later, I realized I left the charger at home! I was so disappointed!! The weekend pictures are all courtesy of Melanie!! Thanks for sharing them!!
While us girls were in Spokane, the guys stayed with the kids. These pictures say it all!!

I guess Quinnie wasn't to happy that Jayni painted his face too!
8 comments:
Sounds like you had a pretty amazing weekend! I know of Hillary Weeks, but haven't heard any of her music, but it sounds very inspirational and I'm glad you talked to her! I had to laugh at the kids getting drawn on while you were away. Daniel cut's my kids hair (whether I think they need it or not) when I go out for an evening, like even just for enrichment night!!
Awesome post Shaila! You do have a beautiful voice! Didnt you sing when Landon came home? I think I remember that. When I come home from Time Out I wish I could keep that feeling! I love the face paint too.
Hey, what's up with Brianne and I not being beautiful? Maybe we're not old enough to get that title, haha! (TOTALLY KIDDING!!)
Your new clothes are very cute. And the shopping with 2 babies wasn't half bad. Especially if I hadn't been whining about my back 1/2 the day.
I came home and missed that feeling too. It was harder to stay into each talk with a Mr. Reed on my lap. The music though, that's what I really enjoyed. And I felt the Spirit so strong, I loved it.
I'm so glad you went back up to talk Hilary. The bad picture the night before had nothing to do with it. I didn't want you to tell the story forever saying you said dumb stuff, cause you didn't. So we had to wait in line the next day, and it worked! You look so cute with her. And I agree with you, start singing more. Like she said, time for ourselves no matter what it takes.
Totally impressed with the caught up blog feeling. Now I'm at least 2 behind!
I love Hilary Weeks too! That is awesome that you are such a huge fan. I'm glad you got to talk to her and get a picture with her! That is really awesome. That picture of Quinn with the marker all over his face made me bust up laughing!! His facial expression is hilarious!!
WOW. What a small world! I clicked on your blog after reading your comment on mine. . . and it made me smile. I know Matt from Ricks back in the day we used to hang out with Matt and Jason Jenks, for a semester! Your family is adorable! And Heidi is the sister in law to Melanie that you were talking about. . . yes, we went to school together.
Don't be scared of photoshop! It's so much fun, a little daunting at first, but once you learn the basics, it's all fun!
Thanks so much for commenting on my blog. I love hearing from people who view it. And it's good to see that Matt has such an adorable wife! Kudos to him! :)
thanks again for your comment!
~Meegan Littlefield
TOFW was awesome and inspirational just as you said!!! I loved it! It was so fun seeing you there too!! Don't you just want to be a better mom/person now? I do! I liked Hilary Weeks too!
Ahhhh...Time out for Women--you gotta love it! The time we went it was a great experience. I'm glad you get to keep going back! What an uplift. I love just reading your thoughts about it...it makes me want to be better and to do better. There is nothing like the spirit--is there?
I thought I already commented on this post, but apparently not. Well, I just can't thank you enough for getting me to go to TOFW too. It was awesome. And I've never heard you sing, but I'm sure you're every bit as good as Hilary Weeks!!
Post a Comment