Monday, March 31, 2008

There's a First Time for Everything

On Friday night we had some great fun taking the boys bowling for the first time. The Poteet's called wanting to get together, so we decided bowling would be fun for a change! We ate some dinner together, I fed Winston and we were off! The boys were so excited to play the "game" even though they had no idea what we were really going to do. They ended up enjoying it very much and have since asked to do it again. I love bowling too...but I am the worst bowler ever. So this is how we ended up scoring highest to lowest: Mandy, George, Quinn, Matt, Shaila, Georgey and Malcolm. Mandy smoked us, she must have been practicing at home prior to this! Mandy comforted me of my lack of skill by informing me that Quinn was cheating. All the little boys had bumpers...so how I did so amazingly bad...I'm just talented! Here are the boys hanging out waiting for their next turn.
They turned on the black light and strobes while were were there and the boys thought it was amazing! Quinn just couldn't wait until his next turn. I guess he's just a natural bowler!While we bowled, Winston snoozed away in his car seat. I think this is the first picture of him with a binkie. His little face is healing, but he scratched his forehead so bad!
A few other cute pictures of the boys from earlier in the day. They really love Guitar Hero!
Malcolm is actually pretty good at it! He can play "Slow Ride" and get over 50% of the notes...a true rocker...or gamer!
Both Malcolm and Quinn have a blanket they love to suck their thumbs with. On Saturday I pointed out to Quinn a small tear in his blanket. He immediately jumped saying, "ah oh, it's broken", and threw his blanket in the garbage. He said that he needed to go to the store and buy a new one, so he puts shoes on and is ready to go. He didn't mind that he was only in underwear, but we told him we would go after his nap. (No he's not potty trained, but we were trying underwear for the day, so he was running around in only underwear so that he didn't dirty pants too. This is a story all in it's self!) Needless to say, when he was napping I pulled his blanket out of the garbage just in case. We did go to Walmart and let him pick out a new blanket. He likes the minky fabric and luckily he had a couple to choose from. We didn't have time to wash the blanket before he went to bed, but we gave it to him anyways. Shortly after putting him to bed, he started yelling, Matt went in there and he says "This blanket is yucky, it smells stinky. (Quinn loves the clean laundry smell. He'll pull out the warm, clean laundry and suck his thumb. I hope this is an indication of how often his blanket is washed!) I washed the blanket, and the next morning he loved it. Here he is enjoying it.
We had a sweet moment with Malcolm on Sunday. Before church Matt had put on The Restoration for the boys. When we got to church, Malcolm was drawing in his notebook. He first drew a picture of Jesus Christ, then he drew a picture of two trees and himself kneeling on the ground. He showed it to Matt and was telling him how he wanted to see Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ. It fast and testimony meeting in our ward, so Matt told Malcolm he should go and tell everyone about Jesus Christ and how he died and became back alive for him. Malcolm was scared and told him no. After a while Malcolm was standing at the end of the pew with his notebook. When the person speaking was done, Malcolm ran up to the front, so Matt had to go up after him. He got to the microphone, but then froze. So Matt coached him through his first testimony ever! It was so cute and Malcolm was so excited. Matt stayed up to bear his testimony since he was up there, and Malcolm started coming back down to our seat. When he got to the aisle Quinn ran down the aisle to him yelling, "Good job Malcolm", really loud. Everyone around us of course laughed. The guy sitting behind us told both Matt and I that when Quinn did that it was the sweetest thing and brought a tear to his eye. What a sweet first experience to see Malcolm wanting to share his testimony with others. The simple faith of a child is so endearing. Here's his drawing, though it didn't scan very well.

10 comments:

Leisha said...

I love little stories like that. Those boys are getting so big! I wish I could have been there. Love you lou!

Anonymous said...

Very sweet story. I can't wait until Lilly shares her first testimony. I could picture the whole thing happening in my mind. Bowling is the BOMB---HUH? :)

Harper Family said...

Glad you guys had so much fun bowling! It's fun to watch kids get so excited about it.
Thanks for sharing Malcom's testimony story...it was really sweet.

melanie said...

I love that Quinn beat both you and Matt. Too funny.

Winston, so cute with a binki but you know how much I love babies with binkis. (His poor head)

Quinn and his new blanket are so cute. Dane would cry when I washed his. His blanket smelled like lotion from taking a bath at night and he hated the laundry smell. One time I just rubbed lotion all over my arms and then on the blanket hoping it was good enough for him to go to sleep. Man 2.5 yr olds are picky!

I love the tender moments when your kids are learning the gospel. It makes all the hard days (and nights) melt away and you get a glimpse of the whole picture. So sweet.

LONGEST comment ever. Next time I'll email ya!

Liz said...

That's so sweet. Don't those moments make you feel so good like hey they are learning something from us? If it makes you feel any better I am probably a worse bowler than you. I once bowled a four and I was trying. I think my high score is like 80.

Anonymous said...

I love bowling!! But I am pretty bad as well. I would have probably bowled with the kids to have the bumpers! :)

And I love the story of Malcom's first testimony! That is so sweet.

Anna said...

How fun you went bowling. Maggie loves it. Kurt and I tend to get a bit competitive.
I love babys with binkies and babys or kids with blankies.
Isnt it great when you feel like something you are teaching your kids sinks in?

Mandy said...

Next time we go bowling you can use the bumpers, it can still count. We had a great time, and were seriously impressed with the boys' form. My favorite was when Quinn picked up his ball and just dropped it right there by the ball return, expecting it to go down the lane. So funny! Malcolm's testimony was so sweet, he's such a good kid!

Brianne said...

Jayni loves to go bowling. We haven't gone since we've been back from England! I really haven't even thought about it. We'll have to go when we get together again.

I love Malcolm's picture. How sweet for him to bear his testimony. And what a good memory to have.

chuck and april said...

that is so sweet. i love those moments. they make it all worth don't you think? and then you feel like what you are teaching is actually sinking in!