Saturday, December 11, 2010

Thanksgiving

(Okay, first off, can anyone tell me why my pictures become dull when I add them to blogger? So annoying that the colors change!)

Thanksgiving was a lot different this year. I don't know that we've ever not been at home for Thanksgiving. It's such a hard holiday to travel long distances for, as it's only a longer weekend. Luckily we do have some family in this big state and had several invites to join them. Matt's Auntie was the first to invite us to spend it with their family, so that's what we did. We were all going to go to Pismo Beach to a resort, and have a nice relaxing weekend. So we didn't all go up until Thursday. It was weird not spending Wednesday cooking and preparing for a Thanksgiving dinner, not that I'm complaining!

Since Matt was off school on Wednesday, we decided we'd go to Disneyland for the day. Since I'm so behind on blogging, I'm not sure I've ever mentioned that we have season passes and have gone quite a bit. I have so many fun pics to share from past visits, someday, I hope to!

Since we've been quite a bit, I don't take a lot of pictures anymore. I guess not as exciting, and hard to just shoot pictures while pushing strollers and keep kids close, even though I carry my camera the WHOLE time! This visit was the busiest  we've ever seen it, even compared to the times we went during the summer. Who knew everyone went to Disneyland on their Thanksgiving holiday! It was also the coldest ever, well at least when the sun wasn't on you, and once the sun set, it was too cold for me in my jacket!
The first time we've ever gotten a pic with Buzz. We're not into waiting in line for that kinda thing, and the kids really don't want to either. He just happened to walk past us and started doing a picture line right by us. Winston loves Buzz, and I love how he's just staring at him here. 
When we went during Halloween time, it was decorated so cute, and they had a few rides that were changed for the season. One ride I wasn't able to go on and see was the Haunted Mansion. Luckily they kept it the same for Christmas as it's was the Nightmare Before Christmas theme. It was so cute and better then the original ride. 
Disneyland Main Street during Christmas. The Tree was huge, and soooo many people!
The California letters were changed to a candy cane design, though it's hard to see, since everyone is always taking pictures with the letters.
Thursday morning we took headed out to Pismo Beach. It's about a 3 1/2 hour drive for us. The traffic was really good, since it was Thanksgiving day. At least that's what I assume. We met Matt's Auntie Ellen and most of her family at the resort.
We stayed at the Seacrest Resort, which was so cute and nice! It was a great room and so cute, so I had to take pictures. Although I can't get a wide enough angle to get really good ones. 
Cute bathroom, I don't know why, but I think so.
Each room had a balcony and this was our beautiful view.
Looking out at the ocean from the balcony.
Auntie Ellen had ordered a Marie Calendar's Thanksgiving dinner, that we ate on the balcony at the top of the hotel. This was our view we enjoyed during our dinner.

That night we went and played games and ate pie in the breakfast room. Well the kids played games anyways. 
Quinn looking like he enjoyed some tasty treat, though I can't recall what it might have been. 
Matt's cousin Carrie's youngest daughter, Chelsi. She was so cute, thinking she was quite the big girl drinking out of a cup. Carrie and her husband Mark have 3 girls, each of them about a year younger then our boys.
Quinn really wanting some of the Froot Loops, but since we wouldn't let him, I guess he resorted to licking the dust with his finger. Gross Quinn!
Winston was worse, and just tried helping himself, hoping they would fall on the plate if he held it just right. 
The next day we took the morning and relaxed with no real agenda. So the boys really wanted to go swimming, even though it was only 50 some degrees. I joined them in the hot tub and that was it!
I think Winston is disturbed by his wrinkly finger! Haha! Sadly I forgot the swim stuff of course, so he didn't have his floaties and was quite sad! He had to stay by me instead of exploring.



View from the pool area.
Sadly, that was all the pictures I took of the weekend. I hate when I do that! Friday afternoon, once Uncle Tom (Auntie Ellen's husband), his mom and Brian came into town we went to a yummy little restaurant that had wonderful clam chowder and I had some yummy pulled pork. Then we went into a fun surf shop and looked around. A few hours later Grandpa Mathias, Auntie Mimi, Uncle Terry and most of their kids came into town. We went to see a melodrama play that was so cool. It was this old theater that had sawdust on the floor and served had a refreshment stand. It did three plays, A Christmas Carol, a funny Sleeping Beauty and then a funny Christmas song thing. Ha! It was so much fun, then of course dinner afterwards, which is so much fun with 25+ people.

The next morning, Saturday, Matt went out with the older boys and Auntie Mimi's family, to see a car show, which turned out to be pretty much nothing, and to look at the dunes on the beach. Matt's cousins Kenny rode with him and took the remaining pictures for this post!


Uncle Terry, in the drivers seat, and Matt's cousin Kyle's wife, Saira.
So we were going to go to another beach a see sea lions that day, but it ended up pouring rain the whole afternoon. But here's what we did the rest of the weekend, ate lunch at Fat Cats. Yum! Hung out the rest of the rainy afternoon at the hotel. Matt's 13 year old cousin Tia loved hanging with the boys, and watched the older boys while Matt, Winston and I went out for an hour. Went to dinner at Klondike Pizza, which was awesome with peanuts shells all over the floor, that never get swept and is basically like dust. (Quinn had to be told numerous times to not kick it around.) Sunday, went to Sacrament meeting. Then went to one last outing all together at Sylvester's to eat lunch. Then onward home.

It was a great weekend and a great distraction from life! It was so fun being around Matt's extended family and getting to know them better, and meeting most of them for the first time. We are so thankful for them sharing the weekend with us and all they did for us. How grateful I am to have family somewhat close! I love living in California and have so much fun experiencing life here!

Thank you so much Auntie Ellen and Uncle Tom!

1 comment:

melanie said...

Fabulous Thanksgiving! What no Fruit Loops on vacay? Live a little, sheesh. Kidding, I'm sure he was sugar overloaded all weekend. I've never been to those restaurants but I'm sure they are all amazing.

Love the photo with Matt, Malcolm and Win with Buzz. His expression is priceless!