Wednesday, June 1, 2011

The Master of the House

On May 20th, Matthew graduated from Western University with his Master of Science of Medical Science! I was not looking forward to going to the graduation, especially since at first I thought I would be going by myself with 3 kids, but thankfully Matthew's parents came down from Washington and his older brother Nathan drove over from Utah too! 

At Western they have a tradition of a family member, or two family members, having the opportunity to hood the graduate. I thought that was pretty neat that they did that, and we were thankful to have Matthew's family there to sit with the kids, so that I was able to do that. Since I was doing that, and I couldn't have any personal belongs with me, I turned my camera over to Nathan and Cynthia so that they could take a few pictures during the ceremony. 
I like the blue glow on the stage.
Matthew getting ready to get his diploma.
Matthew getting his diploma.
After I was able to hood Matthew. They had these "professional" photographers taking pictures of them receiving their diplomas, them getting hooded and a picture with whomever hooded them. Too bad they took terrible pictures and we have no desire to order any. At least we have these far away pictures. Thanks to Cynthia or Nathan, whoever took these pictures.

After I was done hooding Matt I was able to sit back with the family. I'm thankful for technology and having the DS's and iTouch to entertain the boys through a long boring graduation. In 4 more years, we'll be able to sit through yet another graduation. At least we'll know that one is the last, well for Matthew anyways.
My cutest little Winston modeling the lei Cynthia got for Matthew. This is actually the second lei he got. Cynthia had ordered this BEAUTIFUL lei from Hawaii, which was delivered the day before and we put in the fridge. When we were almost to Pasadena, where Matt's graduation was held, I realized we'd left it. I hadn't given it a thought that morning, trying to get everyone out of the house by 7:30am! Cynthia and I were so sad and broken hearted we'd forgotten it. At least there was someone selling this blue one at the graduation, so he still had something.
My handsome graduate Matthew! We now refer to him as Master Matthew. ;) I like the bottom picture where it looks like he's reading me my rights or something.
Matthew and his cute boys. I love these pictures. I'm so glad he can be such an example to his sons of hard work. As they continue to grow, they will totally remember these years of Matthew in school since they are getting older.
Matthew and his parents, Cynthia and Merle, and his older brother Nathan. We are so grateful for their love and support through all these years, and especially for coming and supporting him at the graduation.
Me and my handsome man. I'm so proud of you Matthew and all your hard work and getting to this point in our life. It's been a long road, and I'll continue to support you through these many years more. I love you and I'm thankful for you.

Winston the future graduate. Love my baby boy!
Quinnie, who is blending in nicely with the wall. 
When we got home, Matthew let me take more pictures of him with his other lei. He actually let me take tons of pictures and did lots of posing. He cracks me up.
He has such a beautiful smile. I love the second picture where he's really thinking. What a nerd!
Some pictures of just the original lei. It was so beautiful and I loved how it was braided together.
Matthew and his model pose! Love it! I love this man more now then ever. He sure makes me happy.
Matthew and his sweet mom, Cynthia. 

It sure was a wonderful day watching Matthew get one step closer to accomplishing his goal. Four years to go!! It was great to have family around to celebrate with and spend time with. I'm grateful to have wonderful in-laws!

4 comments:

Laura Lei said...

I love the lei. Congrats! Four more years will fly by.

K+B said...

Congratulations, Master Matthew!! What an awesome experience, to be able to bring your adorable boys to his graduation celebration. What a great example you both are to them :) You look beautiful Shaila! Congrats to you as well, since I know you're just as much to congratulate as Matt is!

melanie said...

Those lei's are my favorite. Congrats to you guys, I cried when Milo finished, it's a good feeling!!

Kyle&Saira said...

Wow, congrats to you and your family. I'm so excited for you guys! As for your in laws, I quite agree! We married into a great family, didn't we?