Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Bubble Day

Last week the first graders at Malcolm's school had a bubble day and BBQ. We thought we'd go see him for a little bit since he kept begging us to come. I worked in his kindergarten class a lot, but I didn't have the opportunity to go help out this year with Matt's schedule and all. Malcolm really missed having me come in, help out and see him at school, and I missed feeling involved, so it was fun to go see him.
They had different stations with different ways of blowing bubbles. The first one they just blew bubbles through their fingers.
The second station they had whisks to blow bubbles through, but they didn't work too well, so they just used their hands again.
The next couple stations they used straws. They blew bubbles with the straw on a plate. Then they had a cup they blew bubbles in. Malcolm and his friend from class put their cups together and made lots of bubbles that were overflowing.
Malcolm and his friend Isaac from his class, just blowing some bubbles!
The next station they used produce baskets to make the bubbles. I love Malcolm's natural smile in the second picture!
The boys tried to be entertained by watching Malcolm, but it didn't last long. They did like the pine cones, but Quinn decided to start throwing them at the tree. He's such a boy and I told him to not do it, which he stopped, but then I got distracted taking pics of Mack and Matt was on the phone (though right next to him), and apparently he was doing it again and Malcolm's teacher had to tell him to stop. That was embarrassing!
Malcolm showing me one of the bubbles. 

There were several other stations, but we had to leave after that, and Malcolm was so disappointed and wanted us to stay. But we felt like we needed to leave, as we felt unwelcome. I'd called the office that morning to see if it was okay that I take the kids, the lady told me they aren't technically suppose to be on campus, but that I could take them and they just can't participate or play on the toys. She was very nice and I totally didn't think my kids could do that stuff anyways. Well they had little paper cups of water for the kids, and though I'd told the boys they couldn't have any, as I'd brought water for them, I finally gave in, thinking whats the big deal, they aren't playing. Well one of the teachers came up to me and just seemed very rude and intolerant of us being there. She told me it was campus policy that siblings can't be on campus and they can't participate and if they are going to be there they need to be RIGHT by my side. I was going to tell her I had talked to the office, but she just went right on talking right over me. So after I told Matt to get the boys away from the water and they can't have any, we decided we would just leave. She made me feel so stupid for being there, and so unwelcome, and she was so unfriendly (and it just hurt my feeling and made me mad). I wouldn't have taken the boys if I would have known I would be treated like I was such a problem. I've never loved how his school functioned here, although a very good school, and I'm glad I won't have to deal with their lack of communication and unfriendliness next year. Just had to vent!

No comments: