Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Time Out for Women 2010

The last day of April and the first day of May, Time Out for Women came to Spokane for the weekend. Some of the girls in my family were able to make a girls weekend out of it and go. I love TOFW, it's always so uplifting and so what I need. I always leave feeling energized and ready to recommit to be a better mother, wife, daughter, women. (Then I go home and the next day it's just me again!) This year was no different. I so enjoyed the girl time. (I also enjoyed going without a newborn, not having to nurse or pump in the parking lot, and not being prego. It may have been the first time for that.)

I rode over with my mom, sister-in-law Holli and my sweet Auntie LaVoy, who was kind enough to do the driving for us. We met up with my sister Brianne and sister-in-law Melanie there as well. Aunt LaVoy hates her picture taken, so I take every opportunity I can get to take it for her. I think she will appreciate this, I personally love it!
Holli and I enjoying our ride in the backseat.
Here we all are at the Friday night event. Brianne, Aunt LaVoy, Me, Holli, Melanie, and Mom.
(Photo courtesy of Melanie. Thanks!)
My oh so beautiful mother whom I love and adore. She really is the best mother a girl could ask for. I'm gonna miss her someday when I move away from her!
Here's an oh so crappy picture of me, Holli and Brianne, but for some reason I guess I needed to share it anyways.
All four times that TOFW has gone to Spokane, we have been able to work at the event. It started out all the years ago with Mel hearing they needed team members and I think me, Melanie and mom all worked it that first year, then we added Brianne and LaVoy later. It's come a long ways since the first event, and is so much better. It's so fun to be able to be a part of the team that promotes it and gets to help out. This year I worked at the registration table. Holli had my camera and took this lovely picture of me. Although my ISO was turned all the way up, so it's one noisy picture!
Jenny Oaks Baker is an amazing violinist! Loved listening to her play.
Mariama Kallon was my favorite speaker of the weekend. She shared with us the terrible trials she went through that led her to the church during a civil war in her country. She made me cry so many tears for her and all that she went through, and yet she has an amazing testimony and an incredible story of hope. She makes you realize that your trials are nothing compared to what she went through. I'm thankful for my small trials!
We had to get a picture with her and tell her how incredible she is. Mel, Mariama, Holli and I.
(Photo courtesy of Melanie. Thanks!)
Since Aunt LaVoy hates pictures, I really try to sneak pictures of her. I snuck away from our group when we were in line for lunch so I could get this. She didn't see me run off! Haha! Love you Aunt LaVoy! You know I do!
Mom and Aunt LaVoy's assignment for TOFW was timing the speakers and keeping us on schedule. They got to sit in the very front row and sit amongst all the speakers. They became great friends with some of these women that spoke. Mom sat next to Mariama and after she told her story, she had to have a picture with her.
The other musical performers were Mercy River. They are fun to listen to with their great harmonies.
Thanks for the weekend girls! I love you all! I had a blast staying up until 2:30 am while the old ladies slept in the next room! Can we have another one in like 3 weeks when Leisha gets back home!?! We missed you Leish! You can fill in for me next time, because I'm sure I won't be there!

5 comments:

Leisha said...

Great post Lou! That awesome that you guys do that. I'll have to tag along next time. Keep the posts coming! I know I don't care if their old. Can't wait to see you guys!

Mandy said...

It was such a fun weekend! It was so nice of you to get me tickets and was so fun to see you and get to hang out with you! I love TOFW!

Kelley Gubler said...

girls weekends are the best! and it's about time you start blogging again:)

melanie said...

Good job on posting, it's so easy to stay away once it's been a long time.

It was a great weekend and the uplift was much needed. I agree though, it always goes away too fast. I need to reread my notes, that might help.

I SO, SO hope we can do something like a girl day once Leish is back and before you leave. We HAVE to. We NEED to. I WANT to. How's that for subtle? Who's planning it? :)

Marion said...

I am so behind in posting! It's like a chore to me right now for some reason! Thanks for the great post on TOFW! It was a great weekend with all my favorite girls (missed you my favorite, Leisha! Mom, too. Sisters, too! You're all my fav!) Looking forward to next year already!