As most family and close friends know, I was diagnosed with an autoimmune disease almost two years ago. My doctor told me it was either lupus or sjogren's syndrome, and with either case, I had a mild version. I've had "joint pain" since high school, which I control with ibuprofen and works great for me. I only talked to my doctors about it 2 or 3 times and it was always when I was pregnant or nursing, and I never worried about looking into it further. When I finally had it looked into, under the recommendation of a doctor I saw in walk-in, it was only with the intention of finding answers. I told the rheumatologist I was referred to, I wasn't there for medication, just want to look into my symptoms. In the end after my blood work proved an autoimmune disease, he put me on plaquenil, a medication to treat the disease, vitamin d and iron. I made sure I had to take it, as I really didn't want to be taking anything, who wants to take meds daily. At one point he prescribed prednisone to me, but I only took once, as the side effects of the medication scared me too much. For the first year, I saw my doctor in Spokane every 3 months, and then started every 6 months. He was a great doctor and always really nice and personable.
After having my two miscarriages, my current doctor wanted to look into the reason before getting pregnant again. There's possibilities with lupus that you can get blood clots, and he wanted to see if that was the case. I needed a new rheumatologist anyways, so he refereed me to one here. When I went to the one here, he wanted to know why I was coming to him, I told him about my previous diagnosis and my two recent miscarriages. He wanted to run a whole bunch of tests, and specifically wanted to test me for antiphospholipid antibody syndrome, which can cause blood clotting. I went and had 11 vials of blood drawn and three weeks later went back to him for the results.
He first told me that my test results came back negative for sjogren's syndrome. I thought to myself, that's great, so we have it narrowed down to one. Then he told me it came back negative for the antiphospholipid antibody syndrome and also lupus as well. I was really confused! He told me all my blood work was normal. I was really confused and a little dumbfounded! So if I didn't have anything, why was I treated for it for the last two years. I mean, it would be great and all not to have anything at all, and not to have to take any medications, but it was answers. I asked my new doctor, then why was I having pain all the time, and his response was well some people just have pain and no reason. He also suggested putting me on some pain medications. That was really disturbing to me, why would he put me on pain meds when I don't even have anything he thinks I should be treated for. I told him, I wasn't there for pain medications and I didn't want any, ibuprofen was enough for me! Matt also asked him a question, and he didn't really answer it, which annoyed Matt! He told me to continue to take my medication, as he wanted to retest me in 10 weeks and come back to him in 12 weeks. He didn't want to change anything just yet. He also told me he could take a look at my previous doctors charts if I would like him to. Well duh! I definitely wanted him to look at why I told him I needed to come to him.
I left totally annoyed, frustrated, lost, confused and emotional. I felt stupid, like I had been telling both my current doctors I had something I was only making up in my head. I don't know why it made me emotional, but I just kept tearing up. I was so frustrated. I don't want a disease, I don't want a blood clotting issue that makes me miscarry and I have to take more medication for, I just want answers! I want reasons for why my body does what it does.
I called my rheumatologist in Spokane and talked with his nurse. I told her my current test results and told her I wanted Dr. Mueller's opinion and why I was being told I didn't have the disease now, but I was treated for it the last two years. She later called me back and told me he was treating me for symptoms and test results that pointed to either sjogren's or lupus. He treated me for mild lupus and he was confident in his diagnosis and that I definitely had something going on according to my blood work. He also said that if my symptoms had gone away, that the disease can go in remission, which he told me before, but my symptoms have never subsided. In fact, I've been having a major flare up, needing ibuprofen everyday, sometimes twice a day to combat the pain. I usually only need it a few times a week. The nurse said they would be sending my charts and blood work to my current doctor. It made me feel so much better to hear that Dr. Mueller was confident in his diagnosis.
I also talked with my family doctor, whom I love and appreciate for the great doctor he has been, and I told him what happened with the rheumatologist. He understood my frustration, and my concerns that the doctor was just willing to give me pain meds if I requested them. He told me to stick with him until after I get my next blood work and results. He said that obviously if the rheumatologist wanted me to continue with the medications, he wasn't confident with the results. After that he wanted to send me to a perinatologist to look further into the miscarriages. I told him how it was discouraging to wait another 3 months to look into it further. He told me I'm young, I still have plenty of year of fertility and in the whole scheme of things, 3 months really is not that long. Of course he's right, and it will be fine. I'm an impatient person and just want to get this all figured out. I'd like to know that when I'd like to have another baby, I can!
I just had to vent and get my frustrations out there. I don't mean to complain and make my situation more then it is, or for people to have to read about it. People have it much worse then me. I would just like to have answers, or just to know if I'm crazy, and why would one doctor tell me I have something, and another doctor tell me I don't. What I really care about here, is finding the answers to why I've had two miscarriages, when before I've had three prefect pregnancies!
Since I'm on the selfish subject of me, can I share one last annoying frustration! :) I gained almost 10 pound during my last pregnancy, that only lasted 13 weeks. It was annoying during the pregnancy (when I thought everything was fine) that I was putting on weight so early. Once I miscarried, it didn't just go away. I'm sure it's different when you go full term, have the baby and then nurse and your body takes care of most of the weight gain for you. Between the pregnancy weight, and the holidays, I think I weigh more now then ever, not considering pregnancy or post pregnancy. It's not a good feeling and it's really annoying me!
6 comments:
So guess who my Rheumy is? Dr. M! And guess what else--Kelley Gubler used to work in that office. Cra-zy. Anyway, Sorry you're so frustrated. Same boat here. Have you tried to do your own research? It seems to help me because I feel like at least I'm doing something. I'll keep you guys in my prayers.
OK...you probably think I am crazy for commenting on your blog and knowing that you don't even know me. I saw your blog off my sister in law...Lacey McHargue. Ron is my brother. But I felt to comment. I think you should research Lymes Disease. My husband was having difficulty with joint pain and many other symptoms. He went to different specialists and was told he had Fibromyalgia and a few other things. But then he developed a bullseye rash on his back. We then knew it was Lyme's. He was treated for that and it took a good two months to see results. We live in Virginia in an area with many ticks. So if you think you have been bitten by a tick...even if there was a slight chance. My husband had NO idea he had been bit. If you were out hiking or anywhere where you could have gotten a tick bite I would look into it. The symptoms can also cause miscarriages. There is a documentary on it. Search it online. I hope you don't think I am crazy. Just trying to help. I know your inlaws. GREAT PEOPLE.
I can completely sympathize. I was diagnosed last year w/ Hashimoto's and Graves (which was out of control). So not-so-smart me who figured any doctor should know what's best for me went along w/ everything my first doctor said...even though I left every appointment in tears and frustrated. Did what he did and radiated my thyroid (still kicking myself for listening to him...will be taking supplemental hormones for the rest of my life, sigh). It was the post-radiation appt. where Russ went and asked a few questions and the doctor actually LAUGHED IN HIS FACE that I decided I couldn't handle them anymore.
So I first checked out a naturopath, who someone recommended to me and I left there so uplifted and happy that I had a plan in place. They didn't really do anything for my thyroid, but they treat your immune system. In case you feel like giving it a shot, the first and foremost step is to go gluten free. Gluten is really rough on our bodies and it is in EVERYTHING and it causes a lot of wear and tear and causes your immune system to always be on high alert, which causes more wear and tear.
I personally didn't notice any difference as my body was in a ton of chaos as is. However...I did try gluten last night (oh how I've missed the occasional pizza!) for the first time in 2+ months and wow...it made me SICK.
So anyways...I then found another dr. who is actually willing to listen and understands my frustrations and isn't annoyed at my husband, lol.
Good luck!!! And thanks for updating, I was actually thinking of you the other day for some random reason and wondered how everything was going!
First off, I completely relate to your last paragraph. I've gained only 2-3 lbs since my surgeries but my clothes are tighter and my skin is so much squishier than it was before. Not claiming I had rock hard abs before (far from it!!) but now it's just different and I don't like it. I want to chain saw it off, haha.
As for the rest, how very frustrating. And confusing. And emotional. What another roller coaster to be on. I know you're watched over and the Lord will bless you with answers. It's in the waiting we have to have faith. In a different way, I feel like I'm there too. Love you!!
Oh Shaila, how very like you to hide this post under a Christmas post - I almost missed it! I'm SO sorry that you are having hard times :( I wish I lived closer and could distract you. I am just the same and can't stand not having answers. Really can't stand it. And I don't like waiting, at all. I'm so sorry. How very frustrating!! I wish I had answers for you, but all I know is that you are a strong woman and have amazing faith, and I know if anyone can find the bright side of things, you can. (But it's ok to cry sometimes too!!) I will be praying for you to get your answers.
And on the last note - at least you're not alone :) My clothes are WAY too tight too. And I think I can feel my organs through the place where my ab muscles should be. That can't be good, right? I need to live near you for you to make me walk and do step!!
Hang in there and know that you are LOVED!!!!
Shaila, you have to love your rheumatologist. Find another one. I wish you lived here because mine is amazing...I love him. Your doctor should act like your problems are important and get to the bottom of why you are hurting. You should feel reassured every time you leave his office. There is nothing worse than not knowing why you feel the way you do...I thought I was crazy before I was diagnosed.
Post a Comment