Thursday, September 2, 2010

First Grader

Malcolm had his first day of school on Monday. Matt and I were so nervous for him. I was nervous about it being a full day of school, instead of the half. I was nervous about a new school, his school last year was so great. I was nervous about him knowing where to go and what to do. I was just nervous.

There was a meet your teacher night the Friday before school, which we went to and met his teacher and got all the important paperwork that had to be filled out. He has two teacher that do work share. I've never heard of it before, but one teacher works the first part of the week and the other works the second part, alternating Wednesdays. I don't have any problems with this, and I think Malcolm will be just fine with it. His teachers are Mrs. Walshe and Mrs. May. They both have kids and like to do the full-time mom thing, and work part time. I think it's great they can do both.
My sister-in-law Melanie has this tradition where she makes her kids an initial pancake on the first day of school. I thought it was a fun thing to do, so we've been doing it as well. Malcolm's M turned out a little sad, but there's nothing like sending your kid to school full of sugar. I had to wake Malcolm up, so notice how tired he looks, and I love his crazy bedhead going on!
It felt so rushed that first morning, so I just took a few quick pictures of Malcolm outside of the apartment. He's doing a little nervous/excited look here. 

The first day was chaos! All the parents are dropping the kids off and standing around and taking pictures, it made me nervous. We didn't know where to go at first, it seemed so disorganized to me, and I just can't stand disorganization. So this made me nervous. Malcolm started getting really nervous, also asked me if anyone would see his bald spot and make fun of him. Poor kid. When the teacher finally started leading them into his class, he seemed a little teary at one point. I didn't want him to go. I felt so sad all day, and just wanted to go get him, worried he was scared.

He had a great day and has a great rest of the week. He's really loving school and likes his teachers. He loves lunch time and recess of course. He's making friends and thinks he's a pretty big kid now that he's in first grade. He's adjusting really good to this new school, for me it's going to take some time. I loved his school and teacher last year!

It has been nice to be forced into an early morning routine that gets us all up and moving. I've been waking up at 6am, because I like being ready first thing in the morning. So my days seem a lot longer and time seems to be used a lot better, with more accomplished. That's a good thing.
Since I'm on the subject of Malcolm I had to share this picture. I was making dinner a few nights ago and used some onion. I chopped all but the last quarter of it or so, and was going to finish cutting it and save all the extra for another dinner. Malcolm for some reason wanted to cut the rest for me. He chopped almost all of the rest of it. Didn't like it when his eyes started burning, but I taught him the trick of rinsing your hands with cold water to make them stop burning. He was really confused why they made him cry, and why washing his hands made his eyes stop stinging. It was cute to have his help, and that he continued on with it, even when the onion made him cry.

I love this boy, and I wish he didn't have to grow up. I just want to hold him and never let him go. I really don't enjoy these school years so far, I like the time of just sitting at home and going and doing as we please. Those were the days!

3 comments:

Kelley Gubler said...

i so know what you mean. i had mixed emotions over caiden starting first grade. i kept worrying the first day if he was having fun and to my relief he LOVES it. that sure makes it easier sending him off. although it is only the 3rd day of school. plenty of time left to realize it's funner to be at home.....

Hardy said...

Way to go, MACK! I must say, he is quite the stud, cutting those onions for you. As for his bald spot, any of his uncles would love to get on any kids case who dares to mess with our Malcolm!

melanie said...

Pretty good looking there Malcolm! I'm loving the bed head. Love the pancake, it looks way better than any of ours. It was a rough morning with no chocolate chips BUT your mom did make buttermilk syrup that the kids love. I think it's great we send them to school full of sugar and pancake, it's better than starving!

It's crazy how fast it all goes. Junior high is right around the corner for my big kids, yikes!