Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Foreground

This month at Take Out Photo the monthly special is foreground. It's the very last second for me to post this, but I'm just glad I'm getting it up at all. If you haven't noticed, I haven't been blogging much. I haven't been taking many pictures either. I'm blaming it on the cold weather and my blue mood. I need a change of something in my life! I'm in a rut. 

Anyways I didn't think I would have anything to post this month, but I did take this picture while playing outside at Matt's parents last week. I was playing with my aperture and focal points on the grass, then took this one of Winston. I think it counts as foreground. I love the bokeh of the grass in the foreground. Winston looks so dang cute just sitting there on his knees too.
Thinking I didn't really have anything to post, I had gone through some old pictures and came upon these from last June. I've never posted them, so I thought it would be a good chance. Plus, I think they are pretty cute pictures. I'm not sure why I never posted them. I had been shooting exclusively in manual for only three months and was still learning to do it, a lot of them didn't turn out good, I guess that's why I didn't post them. In this first one, I love the wheat right in front of Quinn. I didn't mean for it to be there, and thought it had ruined the picture back then, but now I love it. 
I've always loved this picture, both the boys started running at me as I was trying to get a picture of them. I love how they are both barely in the frame. It was really back lite so I tried using the flash. Quinn was really bright right in the front, and Malcolm was really dark. I like the original still, but playing in photoshop, it really made the picture more perfect. It was fun to play with layers and layer masks to get Malcolm out from the dark.
We stopped by this wheat field on the way back home so I could feed Winston. Matt took the boys out and tried taking pictures, until he got frustrated, so I took over. I love them a lot more then I did then. Funny how that works.

8 comments:

marc said...

Great photos! I especially love that last one. The framing, the space between the boys, and the depth of field make it an absolutely beautiful image.

The Gang said...

I agree with the take out photo guy! :) Love the last wheat field one. Good Job Shaila! Oh and Sorry you are in a blue mood. This winter/spring has kinda gone on forever and I think it is starting to get to a lot of people. WARM UP ALREADY!!!

NicKim Family said...

Gosh you are so talented!! I'm serious about paying you to take family pics if your up for it once it gets WARM...gosh, I wish it would stop snowing already!

Anonymous said...

I really love that last pic. It's AMAZING! And my daddy was a pro photographer for years, so I've seen good pics now and again.

BTW, it's good to have you back in Pullman ;-)

melanie said...

Amen on the blue mood. I'm with you every step and I'm looking for a way out of the rut. I'll let you know if I find one.

I love the wheat field photo too. I'm so glad you posted it. Plus Winston on his bum is adorable. We need more green grass and sunshine to play around. Hopefully by May? :)

a noyesy family said...

Me and the kids are going to be up from the 9th until Jarred comes up on the 17th and then we will be going home on that monday! we will be blessing Chelann when we are up there to and we would love it if you guys could come and join in on that! and then I guess i will be going to Shellie's baby shower. Are you going to that?

Laura Lei said...

I love all the pictures and so does Rose (there was a lot of squealing involved when she was looking at the post). I too love the last photo...it is hang on your wall good.

JanaLee said...

Beautiful pictures Shaila! Your boys are so, so cute! I see that you are really into photography. It seems to be the "thing" now. You are really, really good at it...very creative with the backgrounds. Check out "Ryan and Marissa" on my blog. Marissa is Alan's neice (mine, too) and has gotten into photography and loves it! You both are so good at it. Maybe you can swap ideas. Keep sharing those pics!
Love you!