Thursday, September 4, 2008

Attempt at Family Pictures

So as mentioned in my last post, I tried some pics in a local wheat field. It was right before dinner, and Quinn didn't take a nap, so that made them hard to do. Then I was a little nervous about a farmer not liking us using his field, so we just sat on the very edge of the field. When we first got there the sun was behind the clouds, but then it started coming out and back behind the clouds, making it hard to have the right exposure. Didn't help that we were facing the sun either, but like I said, we were right on the edge of the field, so I didn't have a choice.

I think there are a lot more pictures of Matt with the boys, then me, since I'm usually the one taking them. I think this turned out pretty cute, it was one of the first shots...that's probably why.So while we were taking that picture, Quinn had to go to the bathroom and had his first experience peeing outside like a big boy. He was so excited to be peeing on the dirt...haha! Afterwords he picked this flower...
...and then gave it to me. He's so sweet! He keeps picking me dandelions too. I remember picking them for my mom too, until one day she told me she was allergic to them. (Was that true mom, or were you just tired of the hundreds of dandelions?)
So I set up the tripod to attempt a family picture. This was the first and best shot...sad I know. It was suppose to be the practice shot to make sure I was in the picture, well as you can see, my head is a little cropped. Then I didn't know how to stand, when you set the timer and run to get in the shot, you don't have much time to think. So I'm standing there like a dork, then realized my glasses were in my hand, so put it behind my back. Haha! Looks like I think I'm something else...haha!! Then Matt thinks Quinn's head looks like it doesn't fit to his body. haha! Anyways, so many things that are bad in this picture all the way to focus! Ugh! It made me frustrated going back through all these pictures. Will I ever get this all figured out!?!
The sun came out so this was WAY overexposed...which I tried fixing, but it still looks really weird to me. But again, it was the best of all of them. I just want a good family picture to put on the wall, and a picture of the kids to put on the wall. In the 7 months of Winston's life, I've never gotten one, and still don't have one...ugh!!!
A couple of shots of Malcolm that I think I will frame. Which one do you think is better?

Then a cute one of Quinnie too. I think I will maybe frame this one too.
The pictures I have on the wall now are all from when Malcolm was 3 and Quinn was 1 and minus Winston, so we are in need of updates. Do you think it would be dorky to have all wheat field pictures on the wall?

14 comments:

Anna said...

Um I love the one of all you guys. You really look like a model or something Shaila-its ridiculous, and you are surrounded by way handsome men! What a fun idea to do the corn field. I think the 3rd kid generally gest no pictures, I feel it happening here.

Laura Lei said...

I think I would be putting wheat pictures in every room of my house, if I were you. They are really good. I haven't really seen any wheat fields in AZ, or I would be totally copying you. I wonder if it would be weird to use corn fields?

melanie said...

I love the second one of Malcolm, I think his eyes look a little less squinty. Love the one of Quinn AND of Win the other day. Frame them all!

Even the whole family shot. Here's the reason I love it, NO ONE is cheesy. I love Malcolm's smile, you can see Quinn's personality with his head cocked off to the side, your face and head look perfect and your 'stance' looks good too, Matt looks like he's enjoying himself on that rocker and Winston's hands are pricless and adorable! How's that for making it frame worthy?

Next year we are hitting up the wheat field. But first I'll have to find a rocker. Or make a trip to Pullman, our wheat fields aren't nearly as cool with the rolling hills. Did you get caught trampling the wheat?

melanie said...

Yeah I'm thinking corn fields would be cool too Laura. Man why does my mom and her camera have to be so far away? If it's not to hectic (yeah right) maybe when you come home.

Korbi said...

the best part is is that every time you see these pictures you will remember this day. :)

Trista said...

Dude, family photos are HARD. I only attempt them on the very best of days or else it's just a scream-fest (mostly Russ though, the kids do pretty well. lol). So you did GREAT!! I would be uber proud of that family photo! Don't go smaller than an 11x14!! :)

And Melanie's totally right, the natural smiles are great!

I can't figure out which one I like better of Malcom--both for different reasons! lol Just a teeny tip--watch for the chopped limbs (fingers, feet, etc.). The general rule is that it's okay to chop in-between joints, so like halfway between your knee and hip, etc.

And I think it would be great to do all wheat fields on the walls! Most photo sessions are taken only in one location and then fill their walls with that location, so heck yeah!!!

Holly said...

CLEARLY, as you've seen my house, I am not the one to give decorating advice. However, I think you should totally frame them. They are very representative of where your lives are, physically.

I wish you wouldn't be so hard on yourself. You are so hot in that family picture. I WISH I could pull that off. Ever. You do and you should be proud of it. I think I would hand out flyers with that pic on it if I was you. Seriously.

I am going to sit here and wait for you to invite me upstairs to see the gorgeous wall when it's done.

Campbells said...

Cute family pics! I think the one where you are hiding your glasses was funny! The kids are so cute, and I loved the post about winston. It is so sad how fast they grow up!

NicKim Family said...

I love them all! I think the family picture is great!! I like the 2nd picture of Malcolm. You did a great job on all of them! I love that they are all in the wheat field, and I agree with Trista on that you should frame them - I like that they all match...plus what a great tribute to the Palouse!

Granny DeeAnn said...

My 2cents worth........ I love the pictures! What a handsome family! (that's for the boys.) Such beautiful pictures! (that's for you.) :o)

Mandy said...

Malcolm,
I like both of 'em. I miss you. I almost bought a star wars gun like your, but my mom didn't let me.
Sincerely,
Georgey

(side note by Mandy...this was a year and a half ago with the gun thing. where did he think of it??? Also, I love all the pictures! I vote for the second one of Malcolm, and i totally think you could hang all wheat fields on your wall, we always have a bunch of pics all at the same location.)

The Rupps said...

Are you doing photography now! i love those pictures. IF you are let me know. The chair is so great!
Camille RUpp

Liz said...

Love your pictures! Look at you getting all artsy with the camera. I love the chair, cool idea.

Adri said...

LOVE this location. All we have around here are corn fields. Which would probably be weird considering a corn stalk is like three feet taller than my kids.